Controlling Water Flow
1) Feeder Dam - Collects water to be diverted to the canal and keep it watered.
2) Inlet Lock - Controls the amount of water entering the canal.
3) Culvert - Carries smaller streams under the canal.
4) Lift Lock - Allows boats to enter lower water.
5) Bypass Flume - Keeps water flowing around the lock when the gates are closed.
6) Waste Weir - Drains water back to the river if the level was too high.
7) Stop Gate - If heavy flooding caused the canal wall to break, the stop gate was lowered to confine the loss of water to that section above the gate.